Monday, May 9, 2011

I Coupon Because...

I had the positive stuff first but I changed it because I wanted you to finish this post on a positive happy note. You can skip the "Not reasons I coupon" section if you want because really I'm just whining there.

 Not Reasons I Coupon
  1. "Because everyone else is doing it" is NOT a reason I coupon. It is annoying that so many people are couponers now. Yes, I think everyone should  coupon but it doesn't mean I actually want everyone to do it. haha.  The more people that are into it means less of a chance I can get the deals.  Yes, that is selfish but this is a dog eat dog world! just kidding.   It is just extremely frustrating when I plan out a killer deal and I get to the store and the shelves are empty of everything and anything that I need or want.
  2. "Watching Extreme Couponing on TLC inspired me" NOT.  I have never seen the show.  I have however, read a lot about the show and there is quite a bit of coupon fraud going on in some episodes. I do still have a life and don't spend 60 hours a week clipping coupons and planning my shopping trips.
 I Coupon Because...
  1. It is fun. I'm not going to lie, I feel bad for the people stuck behind me in line at Walmart but I love it when they see how much stuff I buy and then my final total.  People have started asking me how I do it.
  2. It saves LOTS of money. I have saved anywhere from 35-96% on my shopping trips. Since I'm getting better at it my average is now about 60-96%.
  3. It gives me something to do. I don't have kids to take care of in the evenings and I needed something to do other than watch tv.  Why not have a hobby that helps our little family of 2?!?
  4. I am now addicted to it.  When Shawn wants to buy a bag of chips and I don't have a coupon for it I cringe.  Its hard for me to pay full price for anything anymore. I can't believe I used to spend $70-$150 every time I went to Walmart.
  5. It gives me a sense of pride to see how cheap I can get things for.  It takes a lot of work to get great deals and when I bring home an awesome 'haul' I'm pretty proud of my accomplishment.
  6. We now have more food storage and definitely some storage of personal items (deo, razors, body wash, etc.)  Now we don't have to run to the store if we need a jar of pickles, I just pull one (a free one) out of the cupboard. Then when I find another awesome sale + coupons for pickles I'll get some more for cheap or even for free.
  7. It helps me make new friends.  Yesterday when I was at Walmart several people stopped me to ask about my coupons. I love sharing what I know with other people and helping them get excited about it.  I also like to give my coupons to other people.  If I have tons of coupons for a product that I see someone else buying I'll give them one.  I also leave them on the shelves next to products if I don't think I can use them before they expire.  I'm getting to spend more time with my sister-in-law, Lydia, as we do coupons at Walgreens together.  It's fun to get to know her better and to have something else in common.
  8. I just think it's really cool. This goes along with #1 and #5... but it is so awesome to get products for free or for a really good price.  Yes, it is a little embarrassing sometimes walking around the store with a big coupon binder but the better I'm getting at couponing the more confident I am. I'm proud of my binder now :)
  9. Why not coupon?!?!  I've got time, I've now got the know how... why not save some money!?! It's logical.
  10. My awesome husband actually encourages this couponing behavior I have now.  Yes he probably thinks I'm a little obsessive/addicted and that is true... but he likes how happy it makes me, he likes me having hobbies, he likes saving money, and he likes actually having food in the house.  I'm glad he's such a great support.

    1 comment:

    1. That is so awesome and thanks for leaving your unused coupons behind on the shelf. I have actually benefitted from this behavior and have tried to pay it forward myself. I do it a lot when I go to a restaurant and I have like 4 coupons, so I'll pass them to the people around me. So I just want to know if you subscribe to the newspaper or how do you get so many coupons? I need to figure this part out.

      ReplyDelete